Monday, April 18, 2011

Mon.'s Devo - Stomping out the Fire

Read Pr. 26-21
It takes coal to make burning coals and it takes wood to make a fire. In the same way, it takes a contentious man to make a fight. If you have one piece of coal then it won't stay burning long and if you only light one piece of wood it will soon go out. That is the same way it is with a person bent on picking a fight. If they can't find anyone to fight with they will be forced to cool down. When I encounter a situation that is ripe for contention I have to remind myself that if I don't play their game then there is no game. If I return kindness for strife and love for hate then I have disarmed the enemy. It also helps to realize that we don't fight people but principalities and things unseen. Our enemy is the devil and all his demons. Jesus put it this way, "Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you."
Lord, remind us of this when we encounter strife and debate. Let us bring a cup of cool water to our enemies.

No comments: