Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thurs.’s Devo - Back to Capernaum

Read Luke 4:31-39 Jesus went back to Capernaum where they were hungry for what he came to give. He was able to teach in the synagogues every sabbath and the people were amazed because his words were not monotonous readings, but inspired words full of power. When God’s power is that raw it rouses up demons in people and they manifest as they did here. A man who possessed an unclean spirit or I might say ‘it possessed him’, spoke up. He spoke to the spirit in Jesus and asked if he was there to destroy them because they (the demons) recognized him as God. Jesus rebuked him and told him to be quiet and leave the man. It hurled the man in the middle of the synagogue then left him. Sort of reminds you of today’s movies… only it is real. The people had never seen such a display of spiritual warfare in their midst and wondered what kind of person Jesus was. Everyone was talking about Jesus so he went to Simons house for some rest. Simon’s mother had become sick with a high fever and they asked Jesus to look at her. He went to her bedside, rebuked the fever and it left. She was so well, she got up immediately and waited on them. This reminds me of a day when my boys were really young and I got the flu which didn’t happen often. I called Dave at work and told him I had fever and felt really bad and that I was going to bed. He said he would pick up some chicken for supper. Caleb, who was about 3 at the time, came into my room and climbed up on my bed. He reached out and touched me and said, “Jesus heal my mom.” Then he got down and went back into the living room to play. I lay there and immediately felt better. After a few minutes I realized I was healed and got up. I felt totally well, but I decided to wait to tell Dave of my miracle until after he came home with supper! Simon’s mother didn’t get off the hook but I’m sure she was thrilled to be able to fix dinner that night. Lord, help us to have childlike faith. With you all things are possible.

No comments: