Friday, July 27, 2012

Fri.’s Devo - I AM still I AM

Read Ex. 3:13-22 Egypt was a powerful place with many gods with different powers and different names. No doubt, the Israelites had assimilated into this society and needed to be reminded who their God was. Moses was hoping for a great name that would convince the people that this god was worthy of following. So he asked God what his name was. He responded, “I AM THAT I AM. Tell them that I AM has sent you.” What does that mean? 1. That he is self- existent: he has his being of himself. 2. That he is eternal and unchangeable, and always the same, yesterday, today, and for ever. 3. That he is incomprehensible; we cannot by searching find him out 4. That he is faithful and true to all his promises, unchangeable in his word as well as in his nature. I am, and there is none else besides me. Then he went on to tell him that he was the god of their fathers: Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and that he wants to be their God also. Then he gave Moses the plan: go gather all the elders together and tell them that I have appeared to you and I have seen how they are being treated in Egypt. I will bring them out of all the bondage and send them to the land of their enemies and give them their land which is rich and flowing with milk and honey. Then the elders will go with you to tell the king of Egypt that I have called you out of Egypt into the wilderness to sacrifice to Me. And by the way, he won’t let you go. Then I will lift up my hand and strike Egypt with such severe blows that they will finally let you go. When you leave, don’t leave empty-handed. Borrow your neighbors silver and gold jewelry and nice clothes and leave with the spoils of Egypt. What a recipe for spiritual warfare: meet with God and get his plan, join with other mature believers, go straight to the principality that is in control and declare to him what you are there for. Then, don’t give up when he refuses to let go. Keep standing and let God bring your victory to pass. And when you leave, take all the things that the enemy has stolen from you or that you want. Lord, you are our I AM and you have not changed. May we spoil the enemy and dwell in you.

No comments: