Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Wed.’s Devo - The Butler and the Baker Revisited



Yesterday we read about the butler and the baker.  They had offended the king somehow and were thrown into prison.  The job of the butler is to make sure the king does not get poisoned and is attended to.  He drinks whatever the king is given first to see if it is poisoned.  So every day he lays his life down for his king.  The job of the baker is to bake the food the king will eat.  He is in a good position to poison the king.  We are all either the butler or the baker.  Our sin offends God and sends us to our own prison.  There we must decide our allegiance.  The butler, who chose to give his life for his king is a type of the person who choses God.  He lays down his life for his king and drinks the cup he is given.  In the end he will be restored to the place God has reserved for him… at his throne, attending God.  The baker stands for the one who rejects God.  Whatever his sin was in the Bible, it cost him his life.  He will face eternal damnation and his body will be food for the vultures.  In the end there will be 2 feasts: the marriage feast of the Lamb and the feast of Leviathan where the birds will eat the flesh of the wicked (Rev. 19:17-18)  
God is restoring dreams to his people.  Dreams are usually figurative and need interpretation and if you ask God, he will tell you what they mean.  God has used dreams in my life to give me direction, show me what he is doing throughout the earth so I can pray, and give me insight about questions I have asked him.  
Lord, I pray that you would restore dreams to my readers and that they would grow in their knowledge of you.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great prayer, I would love God to use my dreams to give me revelation. Thanks Ginny.