Friday, September 30, 2011

Fri.'s Devo Deceived


Read Isa. 39:1-8
After Hezekiah recovered the king of Babylon sent letters and a present to Hezekiah.  Sounds sweet, but the king's name, Merodachbaladan means "rebellion; Baal is lord".  The devil is a deceiver and no matter how good he presents himself, his motives are death and destruction.  Hezekiah was deceived by his acts of kindness and showed his messengers all the wealth and wisdom of his kingdom.  When they left Isaiah paid Hezekiah a visit and asked him about the visitors from Babylon.  When he found out what Isaiah had showed them he gave him a word from the Lord.  In the future everything that he showed them would be carried to Babylon.   He would also take their sons to be eunuchs in his palaces.  I have never been able to process Hezekiah's response and the fact that he got away with it, so I have to think that I'm not seeing it right.  But, this was his response (paraphrased): "good word, just glad there will be peace in my days."  I'm afraid if I was God I would have shortened his 15 years to 15 seconds, but alas, I'm not God.  It is amazing the affect a ruler has on the whole country.  We are seeing that play out right now in our own country. 
Lord, help us to be discerning and recognize the deceits of the enemy.

No comments: