Monday, November 21, 2016

Mon.’s Devo - The Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Read: 1 Corinthians 14:1-15:58
Paul just came off of the “love chapter” so he is continuing in that vein. He is addressing corporate worship. The Holy Spirit was a new thing as well as salvation so their services were a little unorganized. The ones who had just received tongues were excited about their new found language and were using them in the church. Since no one could understand unless a person who interpreted tongues was there it was a little chaotic. Then there were the people who had received fresh revelation who wanted to share and there were the ones who had the gift of prophecy and they wanted to prophesy. There needed to be some organization so everyone could benefit, so Paul laid down some ground rule for their assemblies.
Here were the rules when they met: one sings a song, one teaches the message and another one shares a special revelation God gave them that week, one to three people speaks in tongues and another interprets their tongues. If there is no one there to interpret then they should leave that part out. God never said this was to be the protocol of our worship but I think we are leaving out some key things that would be helpful. Paul told them to pray for the gift of prophecy because it speaks expressly to a person’s heart from God.
I love God’s gifts and practice them daily. It is not hard to receive any of them because they are there for the believer and can be received by faith. If you desire one, ask for it. I wanted the gift of tongues as a teenager and diligently asked for it. It took me a few months to receive it but I did and I don’t know what I would do without it. I don’t speak it out loud in church because I go to a church where it would bring more harm than good but I use it daily many times. It is God’s prayer through me when I don’t know what to pray or would never agree to pray it. LOL! It is how God gets me to pray His will. That is really what I want even though my flesh might say something else. It is a great tool to use during intercession for others. God knows what they need.
Prophesy, like Paul said is such a powerful tool to the body of Christ. It goes right to the core of a person’s soul and brings about a rebirth or a repentance. Prophesy has changed my life and my path many times. We should all pray to prophesy. It is just hearing from God for another person and saying it. We all do it, we just don’t think of it as prophesy. If we did, we would do it with authority and power.
Lord, thank you for the body and the gifts you have given it. Let us not be jealous of another’s gift, but enjoy how You manifest in each of us. Let us use the gifts you have given us to edify the body of Christ.

No comments: